Quotes for the Soul........

There are no winners in this world, who have never lost............
(Dawned upon me in the lec :P )

Saturday, March 26, 2011

So be it !



After rowing for quite a while now, my hands felt numb. The sun was right above my wet head. My friend, who was left behind, seemed perfectly enjoying himself. The summer sun, the humidity, the fear of drowning; nothing seemed to come between him and his adventure.

We were half a mile into the sea and the shore was hardly visible. “Wow!” I said to myself. Finally something exciting……..something to remember. Something not everyone gets to do in Goa. Just me and my raft, in the middle of this vast expanse of green liquid. Great….. Sometimes blue actually. But the reality struck hard. This was not as thrilling as expected to be. “Oh come on” I said to myself. Not again. All this was not able to give me those goose bumps anymore. That spine- tinkling experience had just disappeared somewhere. Something inside me was dying. Something that I had cherished for so long, wanted to nurture and capture inside me. Forever…….
Alas! “The Boy” inside me had just refused to come out. The little naughty, always craving, always jumping, less worrying, little questioning, stupid kid had faded away. “Bro not this time” I said to my brain. No respite from this constant thinking machine, I thought. Not even in the middle of this ‘to be’ adventure. I quit rowing further, it was apparently useless now. The X factor was long gone. This was a changed person riding on those familiar waves. Oh guess what “The Man” is here. The process of change is acting. This person is more disciplined, less craving, manipulative, always worrying, cribbing, sensible and full of doubts and his unnecessary, never ending questions.
It’s like those odd feelings that run through your head. It’s like those Hollywood movies in which suddenly one day you wake up and you are a grown up man. “Wake up buddy, time to earn a living”…..haa too much to take in. My skin started burning from this scorching summer heat. Time to get back I thought. Time to get back to this relentless search of happiness. The search, which had just got worse. Maturity gun had fired its shells. It was time to face the bombardment. This transformation seemed to be malicious, secretive and too slow to be noticed. These days, the only thing on mind was Money, property, career and that need for power. And of course fame, a sense of achievement. Parties seemed stupid, friends just a ‘pass time’ and vacation felt like just another gimmick by the Almighty, to make me realize how miserably reluctant I am. Reluctant to face the truth. The truth that the money in my pocket belongs to the person who is working hard at this moment to fulfill my wishes. I gazed at my expensive water resistant watch. It was Tuesday, 10 A.m. He must be off for work, I thought. No wonder my ‘bro’ has an acute shortage of this skill called timing.
My friend seemed tired by now. Thank god. I turned my kayak and rowed towards the shore. The beautiful sight seemed overwhelming. Blood gushed through my veins. I was rowing hard. The adrenalin rush had arrived. I tried to fight back my misery. Then I said to myself, ‘Chill mamu’. A lot had to be done; a lot had to be achieved. And now there was this new person to be discovered. Altogether a new beginning. New heights to be scaled. I smiled. I knew that it was time to prove my self to this world. It was time to give back everything that was invested in me right from the beginning.
Very rare, but a time comes, when you realize that its time to get started. Started with the process called success. Something told me that I can do it with ease. Being an optimist does its bit you see……….The person should be proud of this kid he has been looking after for so long. The Dreams have to turn into reality. It was time to take life seriously, without killing the kid inside me. And more importantly, it was time to make sense of this living. Do something which will help me become that man I have been craving for, something for my ‘pass times’, the people to whom I owe this life and for the beautiful girl waiting for me on the beach.

Rowing back was less painful. Body was exhausted but the cribbing had stopped. I was filled with this optimism, this desire to do. All this energy was breathtakingly exciting. “Yes we can” flashed in front of my eyes with that obama smile. Hahaha. I couldn’t help smiling. My friend was again left behind.
Soon I found myself on the shore. Beautiful white sand had filled my slippers. The day had turned beautiful, the moment- timeless. A memory to cherish, a reminder that would bring me back to this moment when everything turned black because it was supposed to do its job. The job of reminding me that it’s my turn to make others happy, just as others have made me a several hundred times. God has a plan you see, so be it…… Amen! :P

5 comments:

  1. well the girl waiting on the beach definatly knws ur transitions and ur inner struggles :)

    hmm though a lil rough edges here and there, they hardly matter bcoz, ur words genuinly potray the matureness of a responsible man as well as the innocence of the kid hidden within u.....i like it :)God bless :)

    Amen :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsumly written siddhu... bt well v dnt lyk u growing up though :P hope dat matured man remains is d context of ua career n u b d wae u r wid us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Sid! This is very well written! To be honest , when i started reading i thought it would be a light read but it turned out to be quite the opposite! The fact that you are worrying about the aforesaid things is half the battle won my friend!Well as far is growing up is concerned we all face that , part of life it is but then the heart always stays young and so will you (well as long as you have people like us for company hehe)!
    Keep up the good work!
    Cheers!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a way to express siddhesh..!!superb!!
    and yes..the time has come when the responsible one within us takes over the "not-so-mature" one but as u have rightly said "without killing the kid inside us".Its now time to live upto those hundreds of expectations of our dear ones which are as silly as anyhing if u really go to see but the best part is the tonnes and tonnes of love and smiles in return.
    I wish u all the success in the world..May u achieve all that u have ever dreamt of just as easily as u rowed back without even realising that u had surpassed your friend and hit the shore!
    God bless u!
    Keep it up siddhesh :):)

    P.S. more of such stuff eagerly awaited!

    ReplyDelete