Quotes for the Soul........

There are no winners in this world, who have never lost............
(Dawned upon me in the lec :P )

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An uninvited Affection............


The worst part about summer vaccations is the boredom that it brings along in life and this one was no exception. The best part is, we think about studies, achievement - something we hate to do otherwise. “This time am going to get distinction”, I expressed and my sister who was busy watching ‘Flimfare’ said “Oh no, not this time sid” with clear disinterest on her face. “No, am serious”, I tried to continue…..but kareena’s performance seemed too important to her, “Get lost”….. out came the reply and with no choice left, I had to watch kareena dancing like those stupid Chinese toys available on the streets. 1, 2 , cha cha cha…same old steps. “Anyways am sleeping, you watch these size-zero girls”….I have been loving the other kind for a while now.
It was 11 p.m and sleeping was the only agenda on my mind. “Hey can you take this downstairs for the dogs?” shouted my mom from the kitchen. “What?” I shouted back with frustration. The homely- routine had made me lazy. Still on bed, I tried to look through the passage. Mom pointed towards a bulk of food leftovers wrapped untidily into a couple of newspapers. “Sheeeeeeee no ways am I touching that” I howled at her. Dad preferred not to interfere. He couldn’t stop smiling though. After a while, Mom came towards me and said “Will you ever do something good for someone? That food will be wasted anyways. Why don’t you feed that poor jimmy?”
Feeding dogs with the leftover food seemed to be an ancestral tradition in our house. And Jimmy, as the boys in our area called him, seemed to be the Leader of those street dogs. He was mom’s favourite. And although her words meant nothing to me, I thought to myself, we watch hungry people on streets, railway stations, dying everyday and who the hell cares about these dogs suddenly? But my mom being adamant that she is, held me that ‘Tiffin’ and smiled lovingly. A Simple Smile can create wonders you see!
Walking downstairs I tried to avoid smelling that stuff. The food that I had just hours before seemed to be filthy garbage in my hands by now.
“Eat this you idiot” I shouted at the dog who knew someone would come to feed him. Jimmy was waiting for my mom, but today it was my turn. He looked at me eagerly.He might have wondered who this fool is. I placed his dinner at one corner where thin grass grew out from the little soil on the tar road. Soon two other dogs rushed towards us. “Oh god” I muttered and prepared to move away from that spot. I had heard about dogs getting aggressive while having food. I wondered if these dogs will bite me. Jimmy growled softly towards the approaching dogs. Now I was really scared. The growling sound got louder and I found myself in the middle of a fight…..i looked at the jeans that I was wearing. It was my favourite.
But to my amazement both dogs kept their distance and the King Jimmy ate whole meal proudly. I wanted to get back home now. I started moving towards my wing. Jimmy seemed to follow me. I stopped. I turned back. He was moving his tail rapidly and expressing affection towards me. I was least interested. “Hud saley” I shouted and raised my hands to scare him away. Actually, I was the one who was scared. Poor Jimmy went away. He kept looking towards me, kept moving his tail. I had to rush home.
Days passed by. College started. Every night I had to feed this dog. I hated when I was interrupted for this ‘noble cause’ while I was busy talking on phone or surfing net. However as time passed by, I somehow got used to this activity. I slowly started to like feeding Jimmy and watch him eat hurriedly all that garbage that I used to bring for him. He loved when it was chicken or fish. The rapid moment of his tail indicated these emotions. And watching him eat while the rest of the dogs could just stand there helplessly, gave me even more happiness.
This ‘kind’ act gave me a sense of satisfaction, an opportunity to give back something, however insignificant it might be. I saw an emotion of Love in his eyes, of unparalled trust, that I would come to feed him everyday. He followed me everywhere, when I left for classes, college and continued so till the society gate.A King is a King within his territory afterall.
It was a Saturday, if I can recall. I was preparing to leave for my classes.Cool wind
blew through the trees. I was late as usual. Rushing down the stairs I saw something lying in the grasses near the spot I used to feed jimmy. I had no time….Just a second glance. Dam! It was jimmy. I was transfixed. My legs wanted to move but my brain ordered them not to. Jimmy was red faced with some fluid coming out of his mouth. I could tell it was him by the black mark on his right eye. One of my friend passed by on his Karisma. I din’t want people to see me saddened by a dogs death. I moved along, still thinking about jimmy. I had to reach on time.
The lecturer was discussing economics. And all I could think of, was this dog.Thoughts went in and out. ‘What could have caused his death?.....He was so strong, well-built……Higher the price, lower the demand…..ok I need to concentrate in the lecture….but how come this happend suddenly, just yesterday he ate so nicely….looked so happy......Lower the price, higher the demand’
On my way back home, I tried to have a look again. His body had shrunk…..one could count his ribs. The spot was smelling. I had to move.
Back home, I played computer games. That’s a remedy from constant thinking for people like me. Everything seemed normal for a while. Then my mom said “ Hey time to feed your pet”………She was not aware of all this…..Ignorance is a bliss someone said.
I had to take that food downstairs. I was not able to tell my mom that jimmy had died. Not because it was hurting or so, but simply because I din’t want to spoil her mood. At the pavement, the body was still lying undisturbed, the only difference being that it had began to stink by now. I placed the food away from the grasses. The other two dogs approached slowly,carefully. The king was gone now. It was their turn to rule.
Cold wind blew down the street. For a moment, I felt that stiff feeling in my throat. That bitter taste. The logic department in my brain told me not to cry for an unimportant street dog. But if only logic could defy emotions. A tear rolled down my eye. I was still watching those dogs eat happily. A friend passed by…… I got reason to divert my mind. I asked him about his well being. He might have wondered how suddenly I was so friendly towards him.
Once home, my mom asked me whether Jimmy had eaten all that she had kept aside for him. “Yes mom he liked it very much!” I said , trying not to show any emotions on my face. Lying is something that I am good at since long. Content with a long, jubilant day she said “Ofcourse he would like it , it was his favourite chicken today”

13 comments:

  1. wow u rite so well sidu...tht was really touching..none the else a tear surely rolled down my eye..

    ReplyDelete
  2. may jimmy's soul rest in peace......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, very well written..!! Even I was not a great lover of dogs before.. but I'm wiser now..!
    So, do you feed the other dogs now?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiifuuuuul effort darling i must appreciate 4m my heart 4 ur literary skills. Now as that u hv an experience try acheiving new levels and foras in writing . Try a fiction/fable or smthng lyk dat. There is a long path 4 u becoming ready in this area boss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanku everyone
    @ ayyapan
    Yeah i do feed other dogs.still gives me tht feeling.keep visiting

    ReplyDelete
  6. U ve wriiten very well my boy...i m proud 2 call u my friend...btw Every dog has its day...
    R.I.P Jimmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. english madla P L Deshpande.....chaan hota blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. ur write-up is really a piece of marvel.m touched and tongue-tied.never knew this hidden quality of urs..keep up d gr8 work sid.u hav a long way 2 go.
    May Jimmy's soul peacefully rest at the gates of heaven..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was pleasure to read such a nice piece. A great flow & unexpected scenes....Great yaar.
    1 more ting it's true about you that you hide your feelings from others, nw tats SID..
    Great job yaar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got 2 things highlighted
    1)All over the world power Dominates, seen in case of jimmy he didn't share his food with others.
    2)Most Of the times we take things for granted & realize their real value when we have lost them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sid well done... Really good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done sid..u really have a long way to go..may jimmy's soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete